It’s World Hearing Day, 2023
According to the World Health Organization, over 5% of the world’s population, or approximately 430 million people, have disabling hearing loss. This number is expected to increase to over 700 million by 2050.
The #WorldHearingDay thus aims to raise awareness about hearing loss and its impact and to promote prevention and treatment strategies.
Here are some crucial tips for hearing care that can help you protect and maintain your hearing health:
- Protect your ears from loud noise: Exposure to loud noise, such as music concerts, power tools, or firearms, can damage hearing.
- Wear earplugs or noise-cancelling headphones in loud environments, and take breaks to rest your ears.
- Get regular hearing check-ups: Regular hearing check-ups can help detect hearing loss early and prevent further damage. Getting your hearing checked every 2-3 years or more often is recommended if you work in a noisy environment or have a family history of hearing loss.
- Use hearing protection: If you work in a noisy environment, use hearing protection such as earplugs or earmuffs to prevent hearing loss. It’s also important to use hearing protection when using power tools or to engage in loud recreational activities.
- Be aware of medications that can damage your hearing: Some medications, such as certain antibiotics and chemotherapy drugs, can damage your hearing. If you are taking any medications, talk to your doctor about the potential side effects on your hearing.
- Maintain a healthy lifestyle: A healthy lifestyle can help reduce the risk of hearing loss. Exercise regularly, eat a balanced diet, and avoid smoking and excessive alcohol consumption.
Let’s not let hearing loss hold us back from the sounds we love. With technological advances and access to quality hearing care, we can all take steps to protect and enhance our hearing. So let’s commit today to prioritise our hearing health and helping those around us do the same.
#WorldHearingDay2023 #HearBetterLiveBetter #BeyHealth #BeyHealthConsulting